We're Hiring: A Lab Technician
Updated: Feb 24, 2021
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank is a community-based, not for profit organization that provides screened and pasteurized donor milk to babies in need when mothers’ own milk is not available. The mission of NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank is to provide pasteurized human donor milk to protect, promote and support the health of babies. For more information you can visit www.northernstarmilkbank.ca.
Located in Calgary and reporting to the Lab Supervisor, NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank is seeking a Laboratory Technician. You will be responsible for the organization of milk coming into the milk bank as well as the distribution of the milk to various hospitals as well as other laboratory duties.
· Weigh in and log milk as it is received from donors and milk drops
· Prepare and package milk to be shipped to hospitals and individuals throughout Alberta as well as other provinces
· Provide support as required based on volume of donor milk, includes pasteurization, and inventory management, update of statistical information
· Develop working knowledge of Timeless Medical System (TMS) computer tracking program
· Other duties that support the strength and growth of the organization
NorthernStar Mothers Milk Bank is open to the public from 7:30 – 4:30, Monday to Thursday with ½ days on Friday. Lab hours are approximately 7:30 – 3:30 pm. The work environment of NMMB is very welcoming in nature. As a result, our staff is reflective of that environment
Qualifications and Requirements
· This position requires an individual who has demonstrated or experience of being a team player
· A highly motivated and empathetic individual with a passion for their work and the mission of the organization are required
· Will consider disciplines from various health care, science or food backgrounds
· Computer proficient with ability to work with Microsoft, Excel and Word
· The ideal candidate has a demonstrated proficiency as well as a high capacity for working in a multi-task focused environment and can work independently with minimal supervision. Strong verbal and communication skills are required
In addition to forwarding your resume please include your answers to these three questions:
1) What skills do you have that can further the mission of the milk bank?
2) After reviewing the website what questions do you have about the importance of human milk.
3) Why do you want to work for our charity?
Remuneration for the position
The successful candidate will be paid $19-$22/hour based on experience and qualifications.
Health care benefit plan available.
As soon as possible
For more information or to submit a resume for the position, contact: